Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Second Week

The past few days have been amazing like the rest of my experience thus far. Saturday night after the Museo del Café, our host mom, Chiqui, had a surprise birthday party for her daughter, Lisa, that my roommates and I attended. We discovered it last minute and it turned out that is where we would get our dinner. It was just a party in our little yard that connects the three houses, but once it started to rain we went inside Lisa’s house and continued the party. We mostly hung out with and interacted with the children as the party with the adults was a bit awkward, but it was still pretty fun. I saw lots and lots of Chiqui’s family and I definitely don’t I even know who everyone was.
[the table set up before the rain]
[decorations...]

Sunday I went to the church that Paul and Bev (our coordinators) attend with my roommates and afterwards we had lunch at La Canoa [the Canoe]. We had a certain amount to spend per person, so while staying in our budget we shared 2 appetizers between the four of us girls at my table: onion rings and jalapeño pepper poppers. We all got our own quesadillas for the main course and also got dessert! I had vanilla ice cream with chocolate and strawberries and two of the girls at my table got coffee cake, which was also delicious! To drink, I had a strawberry banana smoothie type thing with yogurt. It was scrumptious! The entire meal was amazing!!

After lunch we went over to Paul and Bev’s house to hang out. We played games and watched Nacho Libre (with Spanish subtitles) because it was supposed to be in Spanish. Then we went back to our house and I studied for my Spanish test like crazy and finished my reading for Core 400 before going to bed.
[the view from the roof of the restaurant]
[appetizer...]
[Quesadillas]
[Dessert]

Monday was a pretty busy day of studying, Spanish test/lesson, homework, class and more homework. I finished the assigned reading for my class Friday (because the book is good: My Name Is Asher Lev.) I also experienced my first earthquake while sitting on what my roommates and I call our “van seat couch” (as it is literally a van seat used as a couch.) Horizontal quakes are quite an experience…I looked straight ahead of me and everything appeared to be moving side to side. I thought my couch was just a little tippy at first, but that was not the case. That was probably my big exciting event of the day!

Today was a more relaxing day. After an awesome Spanish lesson (I LOVE MY TEACHER!), we ate lunch and then I headed to a café called Y Tu Peña where I used the internet for a bit after purchasing a creamsicle drink and was able to Skype with my family (minus Kelvin). After a few hours I got some delicious ice cream on a stick from a little tienda across the street before heading home. It was strawberry yogurt dipped in chocolate and it had REAL strawberries in it. Amazing! Now, we’ve finished an awesome dinner: super good sandwich/sub thing with ham, avocado, cheese, lettuce, and onion, along with amazing potatoes. One of my favorite dinners so far! :)


[the creamsicle]

Now, it’s time to finish the day with some relaxation…reviewing my Spanish for a bit and then watching Despicable Me with my roomies and Alison, another student living with our host mother. What great way to end my second full week in the beautiful country of Guatemala!

1 comment: