Sunday, November 27, 2011

La Ciudad, Monterrico y THANKSGIVING!

I’ve had a great weekend! Thursday, we headed over to Paul and Bev’s house for a little birthday party/get together in honor of Thanksgiving. We ate cake and played some games. It was a good day. Friday, we went to the city in the afternoon. Some students wanted to watch the new Twilight movie, so those of us who wanted to go rode a bus to the city. I went to the post office with Jen and picked up her package then headed to the market for a bit and walked around while waiting for another student to buy her bridesmaid dresses. Then, we went back to the mall and hung out for a bit until the movie was over. On our way home we stopped by Pollo Campero and had some dinner. We made it home around 9 and had time to shower and go to bed by 10 in preparation for our beach day on Saturday!

Saturday, I woke up relatively early to get all of my stuff together for the beach and made sure everything was charged and ready to go. We met at 8:30 and were off to Monterrico. After a little over two hours in the bus, we arrived at our ‘hotel’ where we changed, ordered our lunch and then hit up the beach. I left time to lay my towel out and set my camera down before taking off my flip flops and making a break for the water. Sand is hot when the sun shines on it, but black sand is even hotter. I think the bottoms of my feet burned! We played in the waves for awhile…or rather, the waves played with us. Then we walked along the beach to dry off a bit before lunch. After lunch, you guessed it, we hit up the water again. After a few hours of being tossed and turned by the waves, I called it a day and showered off so I could lay out and dry off a bit before we headed back to Antigua. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so close to death before in my life. The Pacific Ocean is a beast and quite a fantastic adventure!! LOVED IT.
[Black Sand!] Today, we had our Thanksgiving celebration and meal at Paul and Bev’s. It was delicious! This week, I’m not really sure what’s in store, but I’m sure it will be great. I hope to get to interact with my host family some more as I have been the past few days. It’s fun to just sit and talk with them. I’m going to miss nights like last night: being told I look like a tomato and talking about what I want to do with my life. These days are flying by and I don’t wanna miss a single moment!

1 comment:

  1. Kylie (my little tomato - "use sunscreen!"),
    Did I understand correctly...? Someone in your group bought their bridesmaid dresses in Antigua, Guatemala? Oh, please, please, show me a photo of the dresses or at least ask to take pictures for your very interested mother. You know how I love all things 'wedding' related!!! Thanks!
    I am so glad you were finally able to celebrate w/ a belated Thanksgiving dinner. You were missed at our dinner table. Thanks for calling us. It was good to hear your voice.
    I think the black sand beach sounds amazing. I would love to see many of the places you have experienced this semester. Perhaps someday we can all go together... you can speak for me! (1st time for everything!!!)
    Love you tons,
    mom
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete